Here are the top five trends in food and beverage packaging according to PMMI's Food Packaging Trends Report.
• 80% of respondents are interested in biodegradables, yet few believe the material is ready for them.
• Respondents note the use of plastic overall has grown 8% since 2012 and bags & pouches have grown 3.5%.
• Growth in convenient packaging types, such as single-serve and on-the-go packs.
4. Food Safety
• Consumers are tuned into food safety, looking for clear and clean packaging that leaves the food product visible.
• Companies have adapted to tighter regulations, redesigning labels with clearer messaging.
• Respondents believe ROI on robotics is now at hand.
• Active/smart packaging can indicate when a product passes its expiration date, supporting food safety efforts.
• Interactive packaging with “media” – QSR codes and SnapTags – added to packaging can enhance consumer engagement.