Twenty-two students studying packaging and processing each received $4,000 scholarships from the PMMI Scholarship in Memorial of Claude S. Breeden, Glenn Davis and Art Schaefer, according to PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies.
PMMI has more than doubled its annual academic scholarship funds to $90,000 to reward students at two-year partner schools. To qualify for the scholarship, students are required to have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and plans for a career in packaging and processing machinery manufacturing, as well as a record of past awards and recognition and industry involvement through internship and career development opportunities.
“We award these scholarships to two-year students to promote the value of technical schools in closing the manufacturing skills gap by developing a qualified emerging workforce,” says Kate Fiorianti, education manager at PMMI. “These two-year schools are affordable, making cutting-edge technical training accessible to many, while offering more flexibility with internship and apprenticeship opportunities.”
The PMMI Foundation provides more than $150,000 in academic scholarships each year to students studying packaging, food processing, engineering and mechatronics at over 40 partner schools throughout the United States and Canada. Since the scholarship program’s establishment, the PMMI Foundation has given more than $2 million to students pursuing careers in the packaging and processing industries. Funds are raised through events like the PMMI Foundation Golf Tournament, the Amazing Packaging Race, and the brand-new CareerLink @ PACK EXPO networking and interview event, which will be held this year at PACK EXPO International and the co-located Healthcare Packaging EXPO from Oct. 14-17 in Chicago.
The winners of the 2018 PMMI Scholarship in Memorial of Claude S. Breeden, Glenn Davis and Art Schaefer are:
- Faraeh Awale, Hennepin Technical College
- Tolulope Awe, Reading Area Community College
- Benjamin Bean, Pennsylvania College of Technology
- Zane Burnett, Alexandria Technical and Community College
- Jeremy Carlson, Pennsylvania College of Technology
- Kalie Conner, Community College of Alleghany County
- Jonathan Droneck, Hennepin Technical College
- Austin Fitch, Community College of Alleghany County
- Bill Goodridge, Central Piedmont Community College
- Trent Holben, Pennsylvania College of Technology
- Robert Howard, Central Community College
- Danial Kilinski, Pennsylvania College of Technology
- Andrew Lembeck, Hennepin Technical College
- Macky Masalayinga, Central Piedmont Community College
- Abigail Meredick, Pennsylvania Technical College
- David Moroskie, Pennsylvania Technical College
- Natalie Rhoades, Pennsylvania Technical College
- Tyler Schmill, Pennsylvania Technical College
- Henri Siyapdje, Community College of Alleghany County
- Harle Smale, Pennsylvania Technical College
- Matthew Witt, Hennepin Technical College
- Jacob Gaspari, Central Community College
In addition to scholarships, PMMI U Connection offers several opportunities for students and young industry professionals to connect with PMMI member and CPG companies. Earlier this year, PMMI U Connection launched CareerLink, a new online job board where PMMI member companies can post entry-level job and internship positions for students and veterans to apply. Students from partner schools are also encouraged to attend PACK EXPO free of charge to see the industry in action and network with PMMI members and CPG companies.
PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, represents more than 800 North American manufacturers and suppliers of equipment, components and materials as well as providers of related equipment and services to the packaging and processing industry. We work to advance a variety of industries by connecting consumer goods companies with manufacturing solutions through the world-class PACK EXPO portfolio of trade shows, leading trade media and a wide range of resources to empower our members. The PACK EXPO trade shows unite the world of packaging and processing to advance the industries they serve: PACK EXPO International, PACK EXPO Las Vegas, Healthcare Packaging EXPO, PACK EXPO East, EXPO PACK México, EXPO PACK Guadalajara and ProFood Tech. PMMI Media Group connects manufacturers to the latest solutions, trends and innovations in packaging and processing year-round through brands including Packaging World, Automation World, Healthcare Packaging, Contract Packaging, ProFood World and OEM. PMMI Business Drivers assist members in pursuing operational excellence through workforce development initiatives, deliver actionable business intelligence on economic, market and industry trends to support members' growth strategies and actively connect the supply chain throughout the year.
Learn more at pmmi.org and packexpo.com and pmmimediagroup.com.