BW Flexible Systems—a Barry-Wehmiller company and flexible packaging systems provider—is show casing its Hayssen intelligent sanitary bagger (ISB), which provides sanitary design, modern industrial machine intelligence, and intuitive operation for vertical form-fill-seal packaging. Voice of customer interviews in the frozen/individual quick freezing (IQF), fresh produce, and cheese industries were conducted in order to develop the Hayssen ISB system, focusing on pain points and preferred features. Customers emphasized the need for easy change over and flexible design that is intuitive to operate.
Machine capabilities include:
- High-pressure washdown—including for its human-machine interface (HMI)
- A hygienic frame, which is an open-channel design with sloped surfaces built to have no more than one square-inch of surface-to-surface contact between components
- Standoffs and flanged fasteners to remove the need for secondary hardware like washers
- Fully removable film rollers on the baggers, requiring no tools and which come completely sealed with lifetime bearings
- Toolless change over, save for the sealing jaws
- Friction belts instead of vacuum belts, which are a potential source for contamination and pathogen growth
- The HMI can be equipped with cellular network capabilities to communicate with tablets for training opportunities without affecting production needs
- Self-diagnosis for potential issues in real-time and automatic calculations of program values to maximize performance
- A four color lighting system to alert the operator when the machine is running, is waiting on the feed system to deliver product, is low on film, and is stopped
“One of the selling features of this machine is what we call our stager cooler, which is servo-driven and independent of the jaw. This is a critical feature for protecting the cross-seal area,” says Ed Haarsgaard, BW Flexible Systems’ Sales Leader for new machinery.
The machine features passthrough film threading, and its entire unwind and film path has been engineered to provide immediate film tracking adjustments. Film tension is managed and maintained automatically using a laser measuring system. The Hayssen ISB VFFS has earned an IP66 weather-proofing rating and a NEMA 4X rating for enclosures.